Re: [Xen-users] Xen boot problems

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:21, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > > Oh, and your CPU0 isn't fried, it's just "toast" :-)
> >
> > Thanks.  It can be quite unnerving though, when you've had a CPU
> > (hardware) fry on you once previously.  I checked the hardware was still
> > working by installing Solaris 10 on another hard drive and running it for
> > a good long while.  So that doesn't bother me any more.
>
> Yeah, it happened to me back in the dark ages pre-1.0 when I booted Xen for
> the first time.  I think the panic message is now less alarming, which is
> probably good for new users but I do rather miss the old message ;-)

Nothing like getting the hands dirty to get a feel for things.  When I first
got Linux (SLS 1.0 with linux 0.99pl?? - now a disk image at the bochs
sourceforge site) I nearly panicked when it came to setting up the hard drive
for installation.  MS DOS 5.0 was nothing like this!  Even OS/2 2.0 was
simpler and less technical.

Always a first time, eh?!?

After that, I felt there was very little anyone could pull in the computer
field that could phaze me!

> I'm impressed you actually have had a CPU fry, though...  I had a Slot 1
> CPU fall out (partially) for no reason whilst I was working.  Strange...
> The framebuffer stays up, the last bit of the MP3 track kept playing from
> the buffer...  It wasn't happy on reboot, though!

Comes of misunderstanding instructions.  I'd go ahold of a whole new
motherboard with attendant pieces, and was keen to put the silly thing
together by myself, without any instructions.

I thought I had to manually adjust the switches.

And overclocking wasn't covered by the warranty!  Even inadvertent!  Real
bummer!

> Cheers,
> Mark

Wesley Parish