Re: [Xen-users] what do you recommend for cluster fs ??

Tim Post wrote:
> Do you happen to know if ocfs2 dynamically allocates inodes similar to
> how GFS does things? Or is it more ext3-ish in behavior?

To be honest, I have no idea. But I did find this with a quick google:
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/fasheh.pdf
<quote>
File metadata is allocated in blocks via a sub
allocation mechanism. All block allocators in
OCFS2 grow dynamically. Most notably, this
allows OCFS2 to grow inode allocation on demand.
</quote>

> With gfs, its not uncommon to see 100% of your inodes in use.. where
> with ext3 one would wonder if the world was about to end abruptly.
>
> This can really throw network / heartbeat monitors for a loop if you
> aren't expecting it.
>
> I found that out with gfs, and figured I'd save all who may try ocfs2
> the 8 or 9 hours it took to figure out just why it was happening. I was
> looking for bug reports on xensource when It was Red Hat's tree that I
> should have been climbing. :)

Thanks for the heads up :-)

Cheers,

Brad