Re: [Xen-users] Very slow drives, I/O - DMA issues?

>>> How about
>>> grep NFORCE2 /boot/config*
>>
>> I found the only references to NFORCE in:
>> /boot/config-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL:CONFIG_I2C_NFORCE2=m
>> /boot/config-2.6.9-42.EL:CONFIG_I2C_NFORCE2=m
>>
>> Mind you I toasted my Xen kernel and am building one from scratch,
>> removing
>> the clean kernel build from the make. I think the driver is actually
>> amd74xx
>> so I tried building it into the kernel but then when I try to create the
>> ramdisk image it errors asying that that module doesn't exist .... Soooo
>> I'm
>> going to try to build the module and preload it when I create the initrd
>> and then try to boot it remotely so if it dies I wont be able to fix it
>> until
>> later lol
>>
>> I'll keep posting any progress.
>>
>> --
>> Lonny
>>

> If you build the module into the kernel then it does not have to be
> present in the initrd RAM disk.

True ... which is why I couldn't figure out why the ramdisk wouldn't build ...
it kept erroring out looking for a module that wasn't there. Here's the scoop
... everything is working now :D

I rebuild a custom xen kernel ... basically I think for nothing (other than it
was a newer version then what I had with the src.rpms) The key was the preload
for the ide module required for my drives. After a VERY long brain fart I
actually checked the driver I was using for my IDE devices in proc:

Non Xen Kernel:
# ls /proc/ide
amd74xx  drivers  hda  hdb  hdc  hdd  ide0  ide1

and now WITH Xen Kernel
# ls /proc/ide
amd74xx  drivers  hda  hdb  hdc  hdd  ide0  ide1

after doing an hdparm:

# for i in hda hdb; do
> hdparm -tT /dev/$i;
> done

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   1380 MB in  2.00 seconds = 689.47 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  142 MB in  3.02 seconds =  47.02 MB/sec

/dev/hdb:
 Timing cached reads:   1452 MB in  2.00 seconds = 725.20 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  138 MB in  3.02 seconds =  45.68 MB/sec

Everything is MUCH happier. THanks everyone for your help!!

--
Lonny

--
"The glass is neither half empty nor half full ... it is twice as big as it
needs to be"