Re: [Xen-users] Xen with NIC Bonding on Debian Etch ?

Mark Nielsen wrote:
> John Madden wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 16:04 +0200, Artur MÃcke wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately its not working yet but I dont know why. This is what I
>>> did, after I read your howto and (kind of) understood it:
>>>
>>> The configuration looks different in debian but I think that doesnt
>>> care.
>>>
>>> /etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386
>>> =========================
>>> alias bond0 bonding
>>> options bond0 miimon=100 mode=0
>>
>> It may be significant that mode=0 is different from mode=6. This may
>> become significant on an ethernet bridge, where you're already horking
>> with layer 2 (MAC's) and the failure you're seeing sounds like an ARP
>> problem, so...
>>
>> I wasn't able to get anything other than mode=1 to work and I assume
>> it's due to ARP issues.  Everything in dom0 works just fine, but as soon
>> as a domU tries to ping something on the same subnet, its connection
>> drops.
>>
>> It seems to me that bonding, bridging, and Xen don't really work.  Why
>> else would there be no formal documentation on this from Xen/Xensource,
>> Red Hat, etc? =)
>>
>> John
>>

> While it's not "official" documentation, I have a how-to written for Xen
> + bonding + vlans on RHEL 5 using mixed bond modes (1 and 4 LACP).
> http://www.certifried.com/files/Xen_networking.odt
>
> again, this is all on RHEL 5, so you maybe won't get so much out of it
> since you're running Debian. So far we have 6 bridges configured that
> are each on different VLANs and I can mix and match any combination
> inside the VM (up to 4 of couse since that's the eth limit inside a VM
> currently). This all over bonded copper (mode 1) and bonded fiber (mode 4).
>
> Mark

Hi guys, thx for your answers. Sorry, I havent been at my computer
yesterday anymore. I will try to get it work today and let you know if
its working.

Cheers

Artur

--
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary
math, and those who don't."