RE: [Xen-users] Easy way to remove GPLPV drivers version 0.9.10?

  • To: "James Pifer" <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen List" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:02:13 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:03:02 -0800

> I have a new server built on SLES10SP2. None of my domU's from my
> SLES10SP1 host will start. They just sit at the Windows 2003 title
> screen with the bar scrolling. I have a forum thread open on Novell's
> forums. The guy says it's likely that the GPLPV drivers are causing
the
> problem, since their VMDP drivers cause a similar issue.

Are you able to create a new Windows DomU without any PV drivers to test
if that works? (eg rule out a more general and non-gplpv related
problem)

> So I want to try and uninstall them to see if it helps. I tried the
> uninstall found in All Programs, but that didn't work, at least not
> completely. I also removed /GPLPV from the boot.ini, but they still
seem
> to load.

Yes they will. It should be sufficient to just rename
windows\system32\drivers\xenpci.sys to
windows\system32\drivers\xenpci.sys.old and see if that happens. I think
there is a readme file in the gplpv install that documents how to
remove, but you do need to poke around in the registry.

> Is there anyway to remove these without manually going through the
> registry?
>
> Does anyone believe this could be the problem? I have sles domU's that
> will not load X correctly. If I boot them to init3 they boot up. So
it's
> not just windows.
>
> Not sure what's going on, but I'm totally frustrated now. Really want
> get to a more recent version of xen, but I can't get any of my domU's
> work. Company standard is sles, so I'm stuck there.
>
> Any help is really appreciated.

You could try installing the latest version of GPLPV. Not sure if that
will help though. If they definitely don't work I'd be interested in
finding out why.

James