RE: [Xen-users] Easy way to remove GPLPV drivers version 0.9.10?

  • To: "James Pifer" <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:21:45 +1100
  • Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:22:32 -0800

James,

For some reason your emails have been ending up in my Junk Email folder,
so apologies for the lack of response...

> > Yes they will. It should be sufficient to just rename
> > windows\system32\drivers\xenpci.sys to
> > windows\system32\drivers\xenpci.sys.old and see if that happens. I
think
> > there is a readme file in the gplpv install that documents how to
> > remove, but you do need to poke around in the registry.
> >

> James,
>
> If I rename xenpci.sys to xenpci.sys.old and reboot, the domU gets an
> immediately bsod, even trying to go to safe mode.
>
> My current server is running 3.0.4 of xen, so I'm afraid to try and
> update gplpv drivers since your site says it crashed dom0 hard.
>
> Any suggestions?

Where are you at now? If you want to remove, I'd start here
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv/Installing the text on
that page you will be interested in is:

Uninstalling

If you are upgrading from a pre-0.9.0 release, you will need to
completely purge the old drivers from your system.

    * Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
    * Alter Enum\ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0\Control\ActiveService from "XenHide"
to "ACPI"
    * You may find some registry keys/values need you to alter
permissions before you can edit/delete them.
    * Search for all occurences of UpperFilter or LowerFilter keys
containing xenhide.sys and delete them
    * Delete Services\Xen* (anything in Services starting with Xen)
    * Beware of keys/values which "co-incidentally" have xen in their
name such as xenroll.dlll and IVBSAXEntityResolver
    * Don't remove any "Xen" keys/values under HKLM/HARDWARE/ACPI
    * View files C:\Windows\inf\oem*.?nf in a text editor, delete all
that refer to xen or GPLPV
    * Delete the folders C:\Windows\System32\DRVSTORE\xen*
    * Delete the files C:\Windows\System32\drivers\xen*.sys
    * Reboot, making sure not to select a boot entry that specifies
/GPLPV, if you are prompted to add drivers for new hardware at this
stage,

I know it says pre-0.9.0, but it still should apply.

James