Re: [Xen-users] Installing with iso

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Ananth wrote:

Hi Lance,
That would be great. Please let me know if you are able to crack this guest
installation. I am trying to do a comparative study between
credit and SEDF schedulers by applying different kinds of load on the system. I
am looking forward to using the guest from rpath as it
would be a good network monitoring tool to test the efficiency of the
schedulers.

Below is the content of the config file which I used for creating the rpath
domU.

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xenU"
name = 'rpathns'
vif = ['']
dhcp = "192.168.31.30"
disk = ['file://srv/xen/domU/rpath-1.0.5-x86.img,sda1,w']
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
on_reboot = 'restart'
on_crash = 'restart'
vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vncdisplay=1,vncpasswd=test,vnclisten=0.0.0.0' ]
extra = "TERM=xterm xencons=tty console=tty1"

there is no ramdisk specified. Is this intentional ? Does your kernel boot directly without the ramdisk ? may standard kernels may not be able to.

When I do xm create, I get the message 'started domain rpathns'. Also, xm list
shows the guest to be in blocked state. But when I try 'xm
console rpathns', it takes me into the prompt " (repair filesystem) 1 #".
I tried fsck from this prompt and I get the below message  ..

(Repair filesystem) 1 # fsck
fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
e2fsck 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 437597 blocks
The physical size of the device is 418832 blocks
Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
Abort<y>?

But i am able to abort this and I find myself at /root inside the guest OS. But
I am not sure how to start the network management
application. Please try this config and let me know if you are able to succeed.

that may be a repair prompt. The actual system may be read-only mounted.
If the block sizes are different then there has been a resize or a corrupt filesystem. Since the specified disk is a file you can take it offline and
check it using e2fsck (if it is ext3).
Do not try 'y' answers on fsck. The best bet is to do a
resize2fs -f -p <file> just to first try to resize the FS and then
try to do an fsck and then run the guest OS.

Also, double check your fstab. Does it show /dev/sda1 as / ?

Thank you

Regards
Ananth