RE: [Xen-users] latest GPLPV drivers 0.10.0.86 and microsoft.com

> > Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
> > (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\support>ping www.microsoft.com
> > Ping request could not find host www.microsoft.com. Please check the
name
> and try again.
>
> Okay, so nslookup CAN find the host (64.4.31.252) but ping CAN NOT
> find the host. The only time I have seen something like this is on
> malware-infected servers.
>
> Either way, it's not Xen issue anymore. Xen's networking can pass UDP
> DNS traffic just fine (nslookup got the correct result). You might
> have better luck asking MS guys why nslookup can succeed while ping
> can't find the host, and how to fix the problem.

Not so fast there... I think nslookup will still default to searching
for an A record, but I'm pretty sure that ping will first look for an
AAAA record under Vista and above.

Try doing 'ping -4 www.microsoft.com' and see if that makes a
difference. I certainly get 'Ping request could not find host
www.microsoft.com. Please check the name and try again.' When I try ping
-6, although the default behaviour _should- be to try ipv6 and then fall
back to ipv4...

If that works, and you really don't use ipv6 for all, disable it as a
protocol on the network adapter. Maybe you already did this before but
then installed gplpv which installs a new adapter and has ipv6 enabled
again? Or maybe you want to use ipv6 and for some reason it doesn't work
with gplpv... I haven't tested that very much.

James