[Xen-users] Re: Best way to store domU's. NFS? NBD?

On Friday 26 March 2010 16:36, Markus Hochholdinger wrote:

>> iSCSI is nearly ubiquitous among commercial SAN products these days.
>
> and it's also possible to create a completly open source SAN with a linux
> host. Just use lvm2 with iscsi enterprise target.
>
> I've done this and i use the storage hosts also as xen hosts. I've all the
> nice features, live migration, storage redundancy with software raid1 inside
> the domUs, backup scripts for the whole volume group, can scale from 2 to n
> hosts, ...

I will look into that.

A question though: "software raid1 inside the domU's"? Why inside the domU's? I
would have the storage on a RAID+LVM, but not inside the domU's.

Can you elaborate a bit more about your storage hosts? I was planning to have
two hosts: a primary host with a failover one. The failover can take over by
bringing up a virtual network interface with the same IP. Their data would be
kept up-to-date by DRBD.

But, I haven't figured out how I am going to let the xen hosts access the data.