Re: [Xen-users] [SOLVED] Anyone have success with ivtv in a pvm? I got DMA TIMEOUT messages on xen-next/4.0-rc9-pre...

Mark Hurenkamp said the following:
I can now confirm that mythtv with 3 ivtv tuners is working well in my PV DomU.
I've had the system up and running for about a day now, and recorded 3 parallel movies today. Even when it ran out of disk space at one point, there were no unexpected issues in the DomU nor in the Dom0, and after cleaning up the disk, and restarting mythtv, recording continued without any problems.

I'm impressed!

Just catching up on my list reading.

I've been running a mythtv backend on a domU for a while now with reasonable results. Two things I've had issues with that you may run into are:

- PCI latency - the ivtv driver tries to change the pci latency for the tuners when it is loaded, but can't because it doesn't have permission. I've tried to set the latency on boot from the dom0, but without success. Changing it manually seems to work fine, not sure what the issue is here, but haven't spent any real time looking into it. More on mythtv and pci latency here http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/PCI_Latency - DMA interrupts issues - about once a month my system starts reporting problems with DMA interrupts. Sometimes this only takes out a single ivtv tuner, other times it takes out a NIC, HD, the Mythtv DomU, or the Dom0. The only way to sort it out is to reboot the Dom0. I've spent more time on this than I'd care to admit, and have very little to show for the work. Because it happens so infrequently I'm not even 100% sure it's ivtv related. Most recently I've pulled the ivtv tuners out of the system entirely and am hoping that in a month and a bit I'll know whether ivtv is involved or not.

- Ben