Re: [Xen-users] redhat native vs. redhat on XCP

  • To: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Boris Quiroz <bquiroz.work@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:31:49 -0300
  • Cc: Henrik Andersson <henrik.j.andersson@xxxxxxxxx>, xenList <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 04:32:57 -0800

2011/1/18 Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Boris Quiroz <bquiroz.work@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/1/16 Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> >

>> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
>> > <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>> > But that is the same as just putting more than one service on one box. I
>> > believe he was wondering what the overhead was to virtualizing as
>> > apposed to
>> > bare metal. Anytime you have more than one process running on a box you
>> > have
>> > to think about the resources they use and how they'll interact with each
>> > other. This has nothing to do with virtualizing itself unless the
>> > hypervisor
>> > has a bad scheduler.

>> > I've moved all my VMs to running on LVs on SSDs for this purpose. The
>> > overhead of LV over just bare drives is very very little unless you're
>> > doing
>> > a lot of snapshots.
>> >

>> > Grant McWilliams
>> >
>> > Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
>> > Windows."
>> > Now they have two problems.
>> >

>> Hi list,
>>
>> I did a preliminary test using [1], and the result was near to what I
>> expect. This was a very very small test, because I've a lot of things
>> to do before I can setup a good and representative test, but I think
>> it is a good start.
>>
>> Using the tool stress I started with the default command: stress --cpu
>> 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 10s. Here's the output of
>> both xen and non-xen servers:
>>
>> [root@xen ~]# stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 10s
>> stress: info: [3682] dispatching hogs: 8 cpu, 4 io, 2 vm, 0 hdd
>> stress: info: [3682] successful run completed in 10s
>>
>> [root@non-xen ~]#  stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout
>> 10s
>> stress: info: [5284] dispatching hogs: 8 cpu, 4 io, 2 vm, 0 hdd
>> stress: info: [5284] successful run completed in 10s
>>
>> As you can see, the result is the same, but what happen when I include
>> hdd i/o to the test? Here's the output:
>>
>> [root@xen ~]# stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --hdd 10
>> --timeout 10s
>> stress: info: [3700] dispatching hogs: 8 cpu, 4 io, 2 vm, 10 hdd
>> stress: info: [3700] successful run completed in 59s
>>
>> [root@non-xen ~]#  stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --hdd
>> 10 --timeout 10s
>> stress: info: [5332] dispatching hogs: 8 cpu, 4 io, 2 vm, 10 hdd
>> stress: info: [5332] successful run completed in 37s
>>
>> Including some HDD stress, the result is different. Both servers (xen
>> and non-xen) are using LVM, but to be honest, I was expecting this
>> kind of result because of the disk access.
>>
>> Later this week I'll continue with the tests (well designed tests :P)
>> and I'll share the results.
>>
>> Cheers.

> [...]

Sorry.. I forgot include that info.
And yes, the test were done in a DomU running over XCP 0.5. In [1] you
can find the output of xe vm-para-list command.

As I said, later this week or maybe next week I'll start with a well
designed test (not designed yet, so any comment/advice is welcome) and
prepare a little inform about it.

Thanks.

1. https://xen.privatepaste.com/2c123b90c1

--