Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough, Radeon 7950 and Windows 7 64-bit

Hi,

I've got a similar setup :

core i7-3770 + ASRock z77 pro 4M
and a sapphire radeon HD7950

Ubuntu 12.04 as Dom0, and Win8 release preview as HVM guest.

I can start my VM multiple time without issue.
as I have 3 USB controller and 2 SATA controller, I use pci passthrough to pass USB and SATA devices too
so my razer mouse, and secondary sata drive is "native" on windows too.

here is my script (copied from someone) to reserve the PCI devices for my HVM :

remove_device () {
BDF=$1
# Unbind a PCI function from its driver as necessary
[ ! -e /sys/bus/pci/devices/$BDF/driver/unbind ] || \
        echo -n $BDF > /sys/bus/pci/devices/$BDF/driver/unbind
# Add a new slot to the PCI Backend's list
echo -n $BDF > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
# Now that the backend is watching for the slot, bind to it
echo -n $BDF > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind
}

#USB Controller :
remove_device "0000:00:1a.0"
#SATA Controller :
remove_device "0000:04:00.0"
#Radeon 7950
remove_device "0000:01:00.0"
#Radeon 7950 audio
remove_device "0000:01:00.1"

and here is my .cfg file to launch the VM (xm create win8_lan.cfg) :
cat win8_lan.cfg
kernel="/usr/lib/xen-default/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 8096
vcpus=6
name = "win8_new"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=br0' ]
disk = ['file:/xen-images/win8_2.img,ioemu:hda,w']
acpi = 1
boot="c"
sdl=0
serial='pty'
vnc=1
pci=[ '00:1a.0', '01:00.0', '01:00.1', '04:00.0' ]

hope it helps

Regards,

Jocelyn