Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough, Radeon 7950 and Windows 7 64-bit

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Casey DeLorme <cdelorme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree with you that Xen has an awareness, but what I read suggested that
> the DomU is supposed to be responsible for the reset.

Quite silly, many OSes and drivers don't care about device shutdown on
"poweroff".
Why should they, the power usually will be off real soon anyway.
I think currently only Linux cares enough - due to the need to support kexec.

Suspend to ram is different matter. Perhaps that avenue would be
useful to explore.
(Attempting to S2R the VM instead of shutdown...)

Still, it'd be nice for Xen to force reset the devices (FLR, then
D0->D3->D0 ASPM, then finally PCI bus reset as a last resort) when the
VM stops using the devices.
Better safe than sorry.

--
RadosÅaw SzkodziÅski