Re: [Xen-users] Trouble with PCI Passthrough

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM, David Escott <david.escott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Casey,

Not sure how to read this. Is 01.0-[01] and 01.1-[02] indicative they
are behind the switch 01.*? That would make the most sense (and be the
most frustrating... how is a consumer to know what the PCI layout of
the motherboard is until they open the box?).

You don't.  Name of the game I'm afraid, short of emailing the manufacturer you have no idea as to the actual hardware layout.  Also they are not obligated to send you that information even if you request it.  They don't cater to us crazies so much as the average user who would never need to know that level of detail.

I am not a hardware expert, in fact I can shamefully admit that almost all of my Xen related hardware knowledge was learned "by accident".

I don't "read" lspci tree output so much as use it to get a basic understanding as to the layout, I don't really follow how the numbers correspond to their BDF format.

I haven't had a chance to experiment with multiple discrete graphics cards, but I have had a motherboard where the card was behind the same switch as the onboard NIC and ended up passing both.  At the same time, my current board has devices behind a switch and I am able to pass individual components without a problem.  I am sure if you ran lspci -vvv there are flags or settings for different types of bridges that effect that specific situation, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking that information up.

-[0000:00]-+-00.0  Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller
           +-01.0-[01]--+-00.0  ATI Technologies Inc RV630 [Radeon HD 2600XT]
           |            \-00.1  ATI Technologies Inc RV630/M76 audio
device [Radeon HD 2600 Series]
           +-01.1-[02]--+-00.0  ATI Technologies Inc Device 6819
           |            \-00.1  ATI Technologies Inc Device aab0

The motherboard is an MSI Z77A-G45.

I did notice your motherboard has three PCI Express slots.  Have you tried swapping which card is connected to which slot?  It may sound like a slightly less stupid suggestion now that you've checked the tree output of lspci.

I also still would recommend trying a fresh Windows 7 install, and comparing create log differences, since neither of us can prove that it is in fact the pci switch.