Re: [Xen-users] XEX-Server 6.2 freezes

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:05:52 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 16:06:47 +0000

Hello.

El 06/07/13 16:56, Meike Stone escribió:
Check this reference about netconsole:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-netconsole-log-management-tutorial.html
BTW, it has something slightly changed (using of netcat, and how to
call the module)

Thanks for the hint, but the result looks like the other ways, no output ...
I tested the netconsole via magic sysreq (like noted from a guest
below the article)
This, along with serial console, are the most low level ways I know about getting information form a freezing system.

It is absolutly curious, the system freeze, the console screen is
turned to black, no console via fn-Fx changeable, network stack is
death (no icmp) ...
BTW, does the console turns blank because the host freeze, or it turns blank before that due to "energy saving"? Try disabling that stuff. Make sure it boots into a plain VGA console (vga=normal in kernel boot line) instead of framebuffer, no "quiet" boot or splash screen.
Make sure the console blanking is disabled.

http://mark.koli.ch/2008/11/howto-disable-linux-screen-blanking-disable-powersave.html
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8056/disable-screen-blanking-on-text-console
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-disable-screen-blanking-screen-going-blank.html

Is there a posibility the change to a other kernel, or any XEN
specific parameters in the machine to configure or for the bootpromt?

There are some additional things you may try.
1. Check if the kernel alone triggers the condition, or something within the OS normal boot. Load kernel but prevent the OS form finishing booting and leave it for a while to see if it freezes or not. The most simple way I can think of is to force single-user mode by adding "init=/bin/bash" to kernel command line. 2. Try another Xen's version or Linux Kernel, just to see if the behavior change. Not sure what would be a cleaner procedure under XenServer (CentOS), but should be pretty plain.
3. Check your hardware: CPU burn test, memtest, etc.

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov