Re: [Xen-users] PV vs HVM for PCI-Passthrough

If you aren't planning to use any passthrough on the older staging
machine then PV or HVM isn't a concern, you can choose based on whatever
other needs you have, the wiki has some guides on the features and
strengths/weaknesses of the various modes, see e.g.
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Software_Overview
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Understanding_the_Virtualization_Spectrum
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Virtualization_Spectrum

As for migration it depends on what you mean. If you just mean "shut
down the VM, copy all its various bits to another machine and start it",
then you should be absolutely fine.

If however you mean migrate in the sense of a live migration, or a
suspend on one machine resume on the other, then you will need to worry
about CPU feature compatibility between the two machines, and perhaps do
cpuid levelling on the more capable one, either via the xl.cfg cpuid=
option on a per-guest basis or the cpu_mask_* hypervisor command line
options to level the whole host.

Lastly wrt:
> * PV only supports passthrough on non iommu capable machines

PV supports passthrough regardless of the presence of an IOMMU, it just
doesn't *require* one. Things will be better (more secure) if you do
have an IOMMU but will work without.

HVM does require an IOMMU for passthrough.

Ian.