Re: [Xen-users] VGA Passthrough attempted with an Nvidia GTX970

On 2015-02-12 12:30, Peter Kay wrote:
They are (thankfully), but I would not want to bet that similar
bugs don't lurk elsewhere. Start with baby steps until you have
confidence in your hardware. :)
You don't want to know about the BIOS bugs in my (obscure) hardware,
or the fact the embedded graphics card shares a PCI-e IOMMU group with
the southbridge PCI-e slot, the only one useful in this case. Of
course Xen doesn't tell you that, KVM has to be used.

What is an IOMMU "group" and why does it matter?

Of course. I find Quadro 2000 is very good value for testing. I bought
one for about Â90 2 years ago, and have been keeping it on the shelf
ever since for testing new hardware with. Last I checked the price
on them has nearly halved on those since I bought it.

You might want to look into a Quadro 2000 next time, it is a
single slot card and they are quite cheap now (same spec as a
GTS450).

Yep, the FX3800 and Quadro 2000 are both about Â50 now. I am *very*
limited on space in my case, needed a card that was as slim as
possible, and the FX3800 seemed a bit more slim.

Q2000 has half the TDP and is considerably shorter. As for thickness,
they are both single slot cards, so I doube there is a worthwhile
difference.

It also comes with a
stereo DIN port and has a higher memory bandwidth, so for some
applications it may be faster. For others the Quadro 2000 should win
by a long way. I'm limited to PCI-e 1x in the slot I'm putting it in,
so not fussed too much by performance.

I was more thinking about the heat.

Gordan