Re: [Xen-users] Xen and OS X.

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:27 PM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Austin S. Hemmelgarn <ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The argument here as I understand it is that the firmware is different, thus
> it's not an Apple platform, and they technically are correct in that respect.
>  It's running on the same _hardware_, but for an OS, the firmware is an
> integral part of the hardware these days, and a firmware update does mean
> you're not running on the same system (especially if you're using SecureBoot).

IIRC the wording in the EULA is "on Apple branded hardware". My argument is
that my laptop has a 'kin big Apple logo on it which doesn't magically
disappear if there's a layer of software between the hardware and OS. The CPU
and RAM is still physically inside a box with a 'kin big Apple logo on it - so
it's hard to argue that the OS is no longer running on "Apple branded" hardware.

Later versions of the EULA allow for virtualisation - so making the discussion
moot for newer versions of the OS.

Jason Long <hack3rcon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apple Hardware? Apple use PC hardware and in my idea it just a PC with Unix :)

Sort of - it's unique enough to make spares expensive :-(

> BTW, OS X is a useless OS

That's a rather sweeping statement - it's what I've been using as my main
environment for a looooong time. Ooh what fun it was finding out what did and
didn't work in 10.0 :-) It "mostly works", there's plenty of native software
available for it, with the likes of Fink and Ports I can run loads of *nix
software, with WINE (or Crossover) I can run Windows stuff, and with Parallels
(or  VirtualBox) I can easily fire up virtual machines for other stuff.

> but support it is a +1 for Xen.

Xen doesn't "support" or "not support" any specific OSs. Not even Linux to be
pedantic - there's Xen support in Linux, not Linux support in Xen. In any case,
I could see there being some issues in "officially" supporting OS X as a guest.
To "support" OS X in the manner I think you mean would mean emulating some
Apple proprietary details - that would almost certainly mean someone signing a
non-disclosure (even if Apple were prepared to co-operate) and that would be
orthogonally incompatible with a FOSS (especially GPL) project. Even leaving
that aside - who would pay for the lawyers that would almost certainly be
needed.

But as mentioned previously, I strongly suspect that if you can get a
Hackintosh working, then Xen could run it with the right settings.

If you mean about unique hardware is that Apple use special Hardware then you
wrong. They reverse engineering PC motherboards and make their own motherboards
and thus their hardware slots and...must different from PC but I mean is that
Apple use Nvidia or Intel or AMD for VGA, Kingston or corsiar or.. For RAM
and... and all of them are PC :)