Re: [Xen-users] Xen doesn't work with Adaptec ASR-72405

Hello,

Has reported similar problem, and also with Adaptec - about year ago...
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-07/msg00126.html

Still not received any answer - neither here, not in xen-devel, looks
like everybody here hates Adaptec, and don't want to solve any related
issues ;)

And just recently reported it again - in relation to driver domains for XEN 4.8.

Same situation are with some Marvel SATA controllers.
And same sympthoms - working fine with bare-metal Linux, and not
working in Dom0 or DomU.

Passed through to PV DomU, it causes XEN to crash and host to reboot
if unplugged or with domain shutdown.
It happens only if aacraid driver is tried to be loaded in guest. If
aacraid not loaded - domain can be shutted down, or device unplugged
without problems.

And it also happens on Supermicro, Gigabyte and ASUS server
motherboards, single, dual and quad CPUs (Tested on wide range of
systems).

One good thing - it working fine in HVM domain with CPU affinity set
to same CPU, which PCIe slot is used for controller.
So, while it's not possible to use as "classical" storage domain, you
still can use it with iSCSI/SRP/AoE/FCoE/NBD/etc.

Meanwhile, Supermicro strongly  recommends LSI RAID controllers, and
personally, I never seen any issues with them - neither on Supermicro,
nor on other vendor's motherboards.
Supermicro even have their own firmware for LSI chips.
Intel C6xx SAS controllers also working perfectly - both in PV and PVH.

As results, have replaced all my Adaptec RAID/HBA cards with LSI ones,
with small exceptions, used for tests (and Adaptec are also very hot -
almost not possible to use without proper cooling in desktop or
convertible systems).

Regards,
  Alex