Re: [Xen-users] Data corruption with xl migrate

Am 19.12.17 um 11:33 schrieb George Dunlap:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Andreas Pflug
> <pgadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Still experiencing data corruption when migrating 3.16 VMs from one host
>> to another...
>> Seems independent of Xen version or storage backend.
>>
>> Regards
>> Andreas
>>
>> Am 13.12.17 um 09:12 schrieb Andreas Pflug:
>>> Recently, I encountered file system data corruption on several systems
>>> after a migration (ext4, xfs, zfs). So far, I haven't been able to nail
>>> down the cause for it.
>>>
>>> All VMs affected run Debian Jessie with 3.16 kernel. Possibly newer 3.16
>>> kernels are more likely to suffer corruption.
>>>
>>> This happened on a Xen 4.1 cluster (yes, really old) using a SAN storage
>>> system, but also on a Xen 4.8 cluster with DRBD mirroring. All systems
>>> are working for >>1 year now, only recently those filesystem corruption
>>> started to happen. Data blocks seem to get randomly garbled.
>>>
>>> Migration of Debian Stretch or Windows VMs didn't show any anomalies
>>> Can anyone shed some light on this?
> Thanks for the report -- cc'ing a few random people who know more
> about the block layer / Debian kernels.
>
> It seems Debian Jessie 3.16 kernel was experiencing corruption on
> migration, but not the Debian Stretch kernel or Windows VMs.  That
> sounds like a bug in the Debian kernel; any ideas about what patch may
> be worth backporting / any steps to help further investigate the
> source of the problems?
The latest kernel that didn't show these problems so far seems to be
3.16.36.
Actually, yesterday I encountered a fs inconsistency (remount-ro) by
shutting down a 3.16.39 VM and starting back on the other machine (drbd
synced, no anomalies seen on the drbd layer). So apparently it's not
only migration related.

All kinds of FS are affected: ext4, xfs, zfs.

I filed the bug at https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=884622

Regards
Andreas