From: Andre Przywara
Sent: 08 June 2018 14:51
To: Julien Grall; Iain Hunter; xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Stefano Stabellini
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on Raspberry Pi

Hi,

On 08/06/18 14:21, Julien Grall wrote:

> Hi,

> I am CCing Andre and Stefano. They might be able to help boot Xen on the

> Orange Pi PC2.

> Cheers,

> On 08/06/18 14:04, Iain Hunter wrote:

>> Hi Julien,

>> I actually need 64 bit kernel on A53. I tried Orange Pi PC2 but found

>> a K4.14 u-boot and Linux painful with a lack of documentation and

>> forum activity to search . Raspberry Pi gave me the documentation to

>> get it up and running natively.

Mainline Linux 4.14 supports Allwinner A64/H5 quite well, but 4.15 is

even better, since it adds Ethernet support.

You can avoid most of the fiddling by using a generic, prebaked firmware

image: https://github.com/apritzel/pine64/tree/master/images

This boots UEFI apps or arm64 kernels, from USB drives, MMC or from PXE.

If you play with your own kernel, defconfig should have everything you

need. Also newer distribution kernels, for instance the one from Ubuntu

18.04, should work.

Distribution installers based on grub work with that image.

Unfortunately many *installers* lacks some modules for USB and SD, so

you can't directly install it (yet), but if you use an existing rootfs,

it should work (you might need to create a suitable initrd first, though).

Once you have Linux booting, using Xen shouldn't be much of an issue.

See

https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner

for the magic U-Boot bits.

HTH,