Re: Mirage Hello World (Re: Building mirage-www)

Hi Anil,

Mirari 2: Coming To A Repository Near You Soon (tm)

Thanks for the great news.

While waiting for the big event, I have a couple of small questions.

1/- The size of basic xen image on my VM is  3,189,567 (around 3MB?)

hph@ubunxen:~/mirage-skeleton$ ls -l basic/_build/*.xen
-rwxrwxr-x 1 hph hph 3189567 Sep 10 14:54 basic/_build/main.xen

is this correct? Is it a bit too big?

That's just for saying 'hello world' 5 times.

In comparison, ClickOS (1) claims:

"Image Size: ClickOS is compiled with most of the available
Click elements (221/267), the remaining ones requiring a
file system to work. The uncompressed ClickOS image is
12MB, the compressed one 2.9MB, and the virtual machine
needs a minimum of 5MB to run."

If the basic HelloWorld Mirage unikernel is compressed, what is the minimum memory needed for the VM to run?
How can I create a xen VM with HelloWorld unikernel to test it out?

I think I read it somewhere that the smallest xen VM can be below 100KB, is it true?
What kind of "OS" can be that small?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Regards,

PhiHo

(1) Enabling Dynamic Network Processing with ClickOS (Mohamed Ahmed, Felipe Huici, and Armin Jahanpanah - NEC Europe Ltd. 2012)

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ why was anil@xxxxxxxxxxxx CCed on this thread? that's an invalid e-mail ]

On 11 Sep 2013, at 09:19, Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Sep 2013, at 17:28, Phiho Hoang wrote:
>
>> hph@ubunxen:~/mirage-skeleton$ sudo make run-basic
>> cd basic && mirari run --xen
>> /bin/sh: 1: mirari: not found
>> make: *** [run-basic] Error 127
>> hph@ubunxen:~/mirage-skeleton$
>
> i believe this is to do with how sudo cleans the environment, including PATH, before it executes a shell. try changing the makefile so that it executes "sudo mirari" rather than having to "sudo make". (there are better ways to fix this too, i'm sure.)
>
> ultimately i guess mirari itself should attempt to acquire necessary privs to do what it needs to do...

I'm fixing this slightly differently in my Mirari rewrite -- the generated binary now links to a UNIX library that implements the logic for it to self-fork and acquire its privileges.  This should reduce the coupling on Mirari for anything beyond build, and leave deployment other scripts.

Mirari 2: Coming To A Repository Near You Soon (tm)