Re: [MirageOS-devel] change of pkg config path

On Monday, 14.11.2016 at 12:48, Daniel Bünzli wrote:
> On Monday 14 November 2016 at 12:22, Hannes Mehnert wrote:
> > What is the problem of putting it into share/pkgconfig? Why is this 'no
> > other solution'?
>
> As people have pointed out this is semantically incorrect. The proper
> solution here is to fix opam.

Just to clarify this and consolidate the various discussions:

GNU/Linux filesystem conventions specify that share/ is intended for
architecture-independent files and lib/ for architecture-dependent files.

In the case of the PR that started this discussion [1] the correct solution
is to continue to use lib/. However that can't be done without relative path
hacks in the OPAM install file [2].

The (not ideal, but only workable) solution is to use share/ in [1] and get
Mirage to look in both share/ and lib/ which Hannes has done in [3].

At some future time this may become a problem *if* we end up doing some
kind of multi-arch/multi-lib support in a single OPAM switch.

[1] https://github.com/mirage/mirage-solo5/pull/15
[2] https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/2153
[3] https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/669