Re: [MirageOS-devel] change of pkg config path

On 14 November 2016 at 16:51, Martin Lucina <martin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The (not ideal, but only workable) solution is to use share/ in [1] and get
> Mirage to look in both share/ and lib/ which Hannes has done in [3].

Supporting both may not be a bad idea anyway, as pkg-config also has
the concept of a $PKG_NOARCH_INSTALLDIR, and it is in use:

$ locate /usr/*.pc | cut -d/ -f1-3 | sort | uniq -c
    250 /usr/lib
     35 /usr/share

(What I was really searching for in the pkg-config man page was a way
to make it behave more like findlib, so that we could place the .pc
files in the package-directories.  But pkg-config scans
$PKG_CONFIG_PATH directories upfront using readdir, so it would be
less efficient if it were to look into individual package directories.
A hook to maintain a directory of symlinks could work, but seems like
unnecessary overhead.)