Re: [Xen-devel] VIF setup

Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
Am I the only person who sees this as a tad odd? I can't escape thinking about a real bridge. Seems to me each eth or vif you add to a bridge should retain its IP and the bridge, basically being a device that does mac-layer routing, has no IP.

No, because the IP(s) assigned to a device cause the device to only accept packets destinde for it; when the IP is 0.0.0.0, the interface goes into promiscuous mode, and so it accepts all packets, whether destined for it or not. Then, the bridge device enslaves all the interfaces, and transports the packets among the participant interfaces.

I guess this is an artifact of how it is implemented?

You could say that.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx