Re: [Xen-devel] Xen not booting on debian

Jan Kundrát wrote:
Do you have the "root=(hd0,0)" or something similar in your grub/menu.lst?

Thanks for the email
I didn't have a root entry, but adding it fails in the exact same way :(

I must note that I have my normal debian entry in my menu.lst and it looks almost identical to the Xen entry. The debian entry boots fine (and has always), but the Xen doesn't :(

Derrik Pates wrote:
> #  initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-1-386
As pointed out in the directions, you need to load an initrd after the XenLinux kernel with a 'module' directive, instead of an 'initrd' directive.

my bad, I didn't notice the slight change in directives, I tried it with module but still no joy :(

I've been doing some googling for Grub errors but found nothing useful.

Now that we may have determined its not Grub I guess it could be my machine (which I suspected in the first place). You will hate me, but I'm trying to run Xen inside a Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. This is on a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz. The Virtual PC has 128mb RAM, emulated Intel 440BX Chipset and a emulated AMI BIOS.

I know its a little strange running a VM inside a VM, but I only wanted to play with xen a little but I didn't have a spare linux box to play with. If people know of Virtual PC problems has anyone tried running this in VMWare?

Thanks
Andrew