[Xen-devel] Windows...

  • To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: M Afifi <m.afifi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:50:30 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:59:33 +0000

I've read the FAQ and bits of information on the Xen website and in particular,

1.4 Does Xen support Microsoft Windows?

Unfortunately there are no plans to support any versions of Windows in
the near future. Furthermore, a port of Windows would be encumbered by
licensing issues. Longer term, virtualisation features in
next-generation CPUs should make it much easier to support unmodified
OSes: at that time we will reconsider Windows support.

Can I know a little bit more about,

How much changes are involved in the O.S.?
Was Microsoft even approached with this project to see what their take on it is?
Next generation CPU / Intel's VT, how soon can we expect a Xen release
to support this?

Given all of the above, what are the other challenges involved in
supporting Windows on Xen and what sort of timeline are we looking at?

Cheers,

M Afifi