RE: [Xen-devel] VBD extents

> Can anyone tell me what exactly the VBD extents are used for
> in the XEN back-end block device driver?  It almost looks
> like each virtual disk is made up of multiple physical drives
> if I read the code correctly (for each VBD grow message
> received by blkback, it opens a device and retreives various
> info such as its size).

The extent stuff is left over from Xen 1.2, where we effectively had to
do our own version of LVM inside Xen. We'd like to give the code a
spring clean and do away with the grow/srink control messages
altogether. At the same time it would be sensible to add support for
multiple blk rings, and possibly the ability to 'tunnel' certain ioctls
e.g. eject CD.

Ian