Re: Fw: [Xen-devel] Xen on /. again

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:41:06PM +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> You might want to have two domU's shared memory to implement a "direct
> point-to-point" ethernet link, to avoid the overheads of going through dom0.
> For most people this might not matter but it's nice to have the option for
> maximal performance.

This should be possible by using the xen front & backend network drivers,
right? The only thing right now is that i can't see how to get the backend
interface to be created anywhere other than dom0. I can set up a domain as
a network interface backend ok, and i can create a domain with a vif pointing
at that domain, but no new vif appears in the network backend dom.

NB1: I'm on a slightly old build right now (2004/12/12 17:03:10 1.1655) so
     i don't know if it's still the case, but when providing a backend domain
     for a vif only a number is accepted. It'd be much nicer if a name could
     be used.

NB2: Again, i don't know if it's still the case, but the network backend driver
     can't be built without physical device access enabled, but there isn't a
     dependency for that in the kernel config system.

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org