Re: [Xen-devel] xend deprecation

>>> On 06.09.13 at 15:49, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-09-06 at 09:36 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>> Hence as a safety net I am proposing that if we don't get them done,
>> we postpone the killing of xend.
>
> It's been two releases now, how many more do you want?
>
> We can't just be keeping unmaintained code around indefinitely. Are you
> volunteering to add your name to MAINTAINERS file next to Matt and
> Steven?
>
> I would also note that xend being removed from upstream xen does not in
> any way preclude your continuing to use and develop it. However removing
> it does remove a bunch of confusion from our end users about what they
> should use and removes a burden from the project as a whole.

Can't we, for 4.4 at least, simply disable CONFIG_XEND by default,
to make the earlier verbal announcement more obvious to consumers
of the tree? (That's not to say that I'd like it kept; I'm just saying
that knowing that verbal announcements of planned feature removal
is usually less efficient than forcing people to re-enable their feature,
thus - hopefully - grokking the news.)

Jan