Re: [Xen-users] What do you do for Xen 4.2?

Hi, Jonathan,

Just sharing my exprerience:
Thanks for sharing

I have been using Xen 4.1 over Ubuntu 12.04 since Ubuntu 12.04 Beta for
developing purposes and hosting application server with high network io
and cpu load and can say that all works pretty well, I had some issues,
but mostly of them were resolved.
What can I say from my point of view:
1. PV DomU works out of the box, I had not any issues with it
Excellent. Our Xen platform is used for PV almost exclusively.

2. To start HVM DomU I had to fix some symbolic links. I think that
won't an issue for you, you will find info in xen logs about missing
files when you will try to start HVM DomU. AFAIR couple of files were
renamed in ubuntu packages i. e. xen ->  xen-precise and this made an
issue.
Thanks for the heads up. Should be easy enough to fix though if it's just a symlink issue.
In HVM DomU running Ubuntu 10.04/12.04 I found significant drops in
perfomance when network interface under high load, so after tests I did
not use HVM at all.
Since 11.10 Ubuntu supports PV+HVM mode in xen, so I switched HVM
machines to PV+HVM and issues with perfomance have gone away.
If we use HVM, we always try to use PV+HVM drivers, as Xen HVM performance has never been that great IMHO
I don't remember exactly, in HVM or PV+HVM, but I had to create network
interface manually, otherwise it could not work with xen bridge.
We create all our bridges and do networking setup manually anyway. Which interface are you specifically talking about?
Also, I could not resolve an issue with ubuntu DomU screen resolution in
HVM/PV+HVM mode. Maximal resolution I could manage to 1024x768. I posted
bug at the launchpad, but I think it won't be fixed in near future.
And I did not try to run windows in DomU, so don't know how it will
work.
We don't use any form of GUI using Linux. When it comes to windows, RDP is use for access with Xen VNC used for initial setup/fixing broken stuff

3. I could not enable iommu nor verbose mode for iommu. Don't know is
that a bug in Ubuntu packages or bug in xen, no one could tell me why
verbose mode for iommu did not work.
Now this is a concern. We don't use iommu at all however it's nice knowing that the feature is available...

Sergey Zhukov