Re: [Xen-users] GTX 670 Tips?

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That sounds like the PCI ID instability I was talking about. You cannot just remove the resistors. You have to either replace them or mod the firmware straps to compensate for the instability.

The device is detected as a GK104 by Linux, but the driver doesn't know device ID of 0x11af so it doesn't work. Nouveau is more tolerant of dodgy device IDs.

Oddly the Debian Dom0 sees it as the GK104, as does the Ubuntu 13.10 I just installed, and the Windows 8 system I've been using all week.

Debian Dom0 sees:

  03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [VGX K2] (rev a1)
  03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

Debian DomU (PCI Passthru) Sees:

  00:06.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 11af (rev a1)
  00:07.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

Ubuntu DomU (PCI Passthru) Sees:

  00:06.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [GRID K2] (rev a1)
  00:07.0 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

Not saying it isn't instability causing the problem, but I guess I wonder why some linux systems see it correctly, especailly Dom0 vs DomU, both Debian so why a different name?

---

Anyways, 13.10 had a whole new set of problems, newer kernel so I couldn't build nvidia headers, and I tried the packages and they seemed to load, but no video. ÂI am actually assuming that the problem is the inability to supply 'gfx_passthru=1' on my system, because without it I believe it is using the emulated VGA device by default, which might be the problem. ÂI have only the most basic understanding of video in linux so troubleshooting it is beyond me.

I will try 12.04, but probably not until next weekend.

Thanks for lending me a hand.