Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.12 DomU hang / freeze / stall under high network/disk load

Hello!  Thank you for your email!

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:54 PM PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Iirc, you'd mentioned you were hosting on OpenSUSE Leap 15.1?

That's what we upgraded to, and that's when this problem started, yes.
To be specific, I upgraded the Dom0 host to 15.1.  The guest was still
at 42.3 (older version, huh) and started having issues at that point -
upgrading the guest to 15.1 did not solve it.

> If that's the case, I'll simply chime in with some heuristic hand-waving ...

Yes please!  Any comments at all welcome and wanted!

> Here, running hosts on openSUSE had for a long while suffered with frequent,
> but unfortunately still intermittent, instabilities.  Not dissimilar to some
> of the behaviors you've enjoyed.
> When I switched to openSUSE Xen 4.13.0_04 packages with KernelStable (atm,
> 5.5.3-25.gd654690), Guests of all 'flavors' became *much* better behaved.

VERY interesting!  I will add this to my "to be tested" list.

> Did I ever find a specific cause? No.  But, for me, the combo's been a
> reliable in-production solution (of course, NOW i've jinxed it!).

HA!  :-)

> The issues that remain are mainly old-hardware-specific quirks that upgrades
> generally seem to make vanish.
> Yes, I know others are certainly running problem-free with distro-release
> Xen+Kernel, so take that ^^ all with necessary grains of salt!

I was very worried late last year when it seemed I was the only one
having this problem.  Seeing Tomas' report this past month was
counter-intuitively encouraging, because even though as Sarah rightly
points out we can't be sure it's the same thing, at least I'm not the
only one with a "problem of this type" anymore - so my hope is that
this will (logically) get more attention now since it's reproducible.

Thank you for this info!

Glen