Re: Opam package publication (was Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] beta-release of OPAM)

>> Homebrew use the concept of 'taps' where people can register alternative
>> repositories, which will contain domain-specific packages (ocaml uses to
>> have one before being integrated in the main repo). Doing that for OPAM is
>> (I think) a bit overkill.
>
> Well to me it seems that opam already has the concept, tap = repo (or maybe I
> don't understand what a homebrew tap is).

Yes, that's pretty similar, but 'brew search' will also search into some
pre-defined taps and you have predefined names for some of them. I just don't
feel we need such tight integration in OPAM.

>> However, I'm happy to have a REPOSITORIES file at the root of
>> OCamlPro/opam-repositories which lists the available repositories, and write
>> a small script to automatically sync with these repo regularly. Feel free to
>> add your repository in there, and I'll write the update script.
>
> Feels like a step in the right direction to me. But I don't think it's a good
> idea to make it fully automatic or at least something sensitive should be
> done to handle potential conflicts.

By automatic, I mean, we can have a script looking at the new packages
available and create pull request for them in opam-repository (and we can
continue to use the same workflow).

Thomas