Re: [MirageOS-devel] Lifecycle

Le mardi, 19 juillet 2016 à 21:13, Richard Mortier a écrit :
> Sure, in principle -- I was wondering about a concrete example,
> particularly given what I understand intended / common uses of
> unikernels to be, ie., in micro-service / serverless environments.

Personally I'm more interested in embedded systems which seems to be missing
from this list.

But in any case, a simple, concrete example, would be to simply log the
information. In case of problems this can give you more information about what
happened to the unikernel: stopped vs stopped in order to be rebooted.

A more hypothetical case would be to try to persist some of the operating
unikernel state; e.g. related to network but Mindy who just sent a message
seems to say NO. Nevertheless, depending on how fast you are able too boot it
could be used for pseudo-hot swapping a unikernel with a new implementation —
you don't reboot with the same unikernel but one that is able to reuse the
persisted state and act as if nothing happened — outsiders will only see that
as the network being slow; but meanwhile you will have upgraded you unikernel.
High availability bla bla, a buzzword there must be or I can invent one if
needed.

So if you have the hint you can have unikernels that provide both Mindy reset
semantics on stop/start and hot swap/keep state through stop with restart
hint/start. Though it can be argued there could be other means to achieve that
like sending a command to the unikernel before poweroff.

Best,

Daniel