Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.12 DomU hang / freeze / stall under high network/disk load

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:35 AM Tomas Mozes <hydrapolic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday, February 17, 2020, Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2/17/20 10:33 AM, Tomas Mozes wrote:
> >> Just a quick note - no stall after switching to credit scheduler on xen
> >> 4.12 after 3 days.
> > That's great news. By 4.12 do you mean release 4.12.1, 4.12.2, or something
> > else?
> The latest 4.12.2 release.
> Maybe it's a different issue, because the domu host hanged on 4.13 too.

So given the success I had with Xen 4.10, and feeling confident that
that is *a* solution.... and given the success Tomas is having with
the original credit scheduler, and wanting to know if that is a better
solution....  and since I have until Friday to play a bit with this
setup...

I took my test host forward again to Open Suse 15.1 (Xen 4.12), and
activated the original credit scheduler sched=credit, and am
re-running my stress test on my guest again.  Both host and guest are
now on OpenSuSE's "latest" primary release versions:

OpenSuse 15.1
Linux 4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default x86_64
Xen version 4.12.1_06-lp151.2.9

So far I'm noticing the lower load averages similar I saw on the guest
when it was running under 4.10, which I know is anecdotal, but I'm
still hopeful.

I'm also going to go ahead and apply sched=credit to my production
host on a reboot tonight.

I will report when anything stalls (or completes!)

Glen