Re: [Xen-users] First time xen install - Xen DomU runs, but can't find "/dev/root"

Okay, I've done a bit of playing around and I think I've solved most of my issues...

- xend keeps a record of its DomU domains in /var/lib/xend/domains/<UUID>/config.sxp - This is why it remembers them over reboots (and when the domains are stopped).

- To convert these to a format that "xl create" can use, I used the following (note that I had to have xend running to do this).
# virsh domxml-from-native xen-sxpr config.sxp > xen1.xml
# virsh domxml-to-native xen-xm xen1.xml > xen1.cfg
# xl create xen1.cfg
- I can now start and stop my DomUs using xl (without xend running) :)

- I have now found the "virsh undefine" command which has resolved my "DomU already in use error" (I had been using "xl" instead of "virsh").

My one remaining problem without xend running is that it bombs out when connecting to the console when using virt-install. Below is the output when I install with xend not running. If I run the exact same command with xend running then I don't get the error message and it jumps straight into the console. This isn't a major problem as I can simply connect to the console after it bombs out.

[root@dhcp1 ~]# virt-install --paravirt --name xen2 --ram 512 --vcpus 1 -f /dev/fedora_dhcp1/xen2 --network bridge=br0 --location http://www.example.com/f18 --graphics none

Starting install...
Retrieving file .treeinfo... | 2.4 kB  00:00:00 !!!
Retrieving file vmlinuz-PAE... | 9.3 MB  00:00:00 !!!
Retrieving file initrd-PAE.img... |  52 MB  00:00:03 !!!
Creating domain... |    0 B  00:00:13
Connected to domain xen2
Escape character is ^]
error: this function is not supported by the connection driver: virDomainOpenConsole

Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to
the console to complete the installation process.
[root@dhcp1 ~]# xl console xen2
[    0.000000] Reserving virtual address space above 0xf5800000
< -- snip -- The console works as expected from here onwards >